The structure and the core of the Global Executive Masters in Financial Management program is the same in different countries. Participants will choose the home business school that is more convenient for them (more locations are on their way):
• Curacao – University of Curacao
• Lebanon-ESA Business School (running a spin-off of the Global Executive Masters in Financial Management program, in conjunction with Bocconi University)
• Mexico – IESDE School of Management
Participants will earn the Global Executive Masters in Financial Management degree from their home university, plus the certificate issued by the GEMFM Global Network, New York. Each program is validated by its business school and recognized by its national educational authorities.
The Global Executive Masters in Financial Management is a program for people with work experience, which allows networking and high-quality class discussions. Through the international network, participants can also connect to students and alumni of other programs abroad. Participants are highly stimulated to take some core and elective courses at different GEMFM partner schools.
• To provide participants with an up-to-date view on both theory and practice.
• To strengthen the participants' ability to keep pace with future developments.
• To make participants acquainted and familiar with the most important tools for problem analysis and decision support.
• To promote a problem-oriented approach to financial management, in which finding an approximate solution to the precise problem is preferred to finding an exact solution to some approximate problem.
• To promote attention for the international aspects of and contingencies within the financial world.
• To provide participants with skills for communication within both the national and international financial world, skills for 'getting things done'.
• To provide participants with an understanding of the legal, social and ethical aspects of financial management.
CurriculumThe Global Executive Masters in Financial Management is a part-time academic program tailor-made for professionals involved in positions where financial information is crucial to excellent performance. The program combines financial theory with its application in practice.
Learning in the Global Executive Masters in Financial Management program is different to traditional university learning. Designed to maximize knowledge sharing, dialogue-driven lessons engage students in cross-cultural discussions with educators and peers. Participants can use the knowledge learned immediately on their jobs. Teaching methods include simulations, workshops, business cases, team as well as independent work, and coverage of actual financial topics in the news.
The Global Executive Masters in Financial Management program consists of 16 modules (of which 6 are electives) with highly interactive courses bridging the gap between theory and practice; offering a multi-dimensional and international perspective on financial management. English is the primary language used for the Global Executive Masters in Financial Management modules and communications.
1. Introduction to Finance
2. Computational Finance
3. Financial Econometrics
4. Empirical Finance
5. Portfolio & Market Theory
6. Fixed Income & Asset Allocation
7. Corporate Finance
8. Financial Reporting & Analysis
9. Introduction to Derivatives
10. Risk Management
Electives are designed to adapt to students´ particular needs and circumstances. They are intended to support participants who want to grow within the financial industry, as well as those who are seeking for a broad financial profile to function as financial managers in companies and other organizations. The program is suitable also for candidates who want to strengthen their knowledge in finance because they experience this as a necessity in their daily practice (for instance lawyers, fiscal experts, and regulators).
Participants can choose from a long list of elective courses from three categories:
a. Corporate Financial Management
b. Investments & Financial Markets
c. Decision Making, Management, Leadership
The Global Executive Masters in Financial Management program is an eighteen month program taught once a month, over an uninterrupted three day period (24 hours per module). The exact schedule is tuned to the local circumstances. In between classes there may be preparatory reading, assignments, and exams. Nevertheless, as this is a part-time executive master program, participants will find an adequate work/study balance. The final component of the Global Executive Masters in Financial Management program requires the students to complete a practical thesis, which can be done in three different modalities: academic work, literature review, or case study.
The Global Executive Masters in Financial Management program includes a study trip to New York City, with visits to financial institutions and other important parties in the financial sector.
New York Study TourThe 5-days New York Study Tour consists of an intense and competitive simulation of bank management strategies, together with visits to financial institutions and important financial sector players. It usually takes place in the Cornell Club, with a combination of guest speakers and simulation-based training provided by ProBanker. Prior guest speakers included Tabish Almas (Quantitative Analyst, OpenLink Financial, NY), Geoffroy Teyssonniere de Gramont (Managing Director, Societie Generale), and John Addeo (Director, Genstar Private Equity). Visits include APG Asset Management, Bloomberg, Veris Wealth Partners, Federal Reserve Bank, and Wall Street.